Classicas Hacienda López de Haro
Gran Reserva Tinto 2005
Decanter World Wine Awards 2021. 2004 vintage.
- Varieties: Tempranillo and Garnacha.
- Ageing: Three and a half years in Bordeaux barrels of French oak, half new and half used, with further blending to complete refinement throughout a lengthy stay in the bottle.
- Harvest: Manual and staggered during the first fortnight of October.
- Vineyard: Old goblet-shaped Tempanillo vines, with an average age of 70, some of them planted on the old “planting frame” or “square” just after the phylloxera blight, where ancient varieties of vines still survive. They grow on clay-limestone terraces at the foot of the Sierra de Toloño in the Sonsierra region, facing south, at a high altitude, with a cool climate, in the Sonsierra region (San Vicente and surrounding towns). La Garnacha comes from 90-year-old vineyards planted in the Cárdenas area, in Alto Najerilla. They are also located at a high altitude, on clay-ferrous terraces facing north.
- Winemaking: Each variety and area were fermented separately in steel tanks, always with the grape’s own yeast and with spontaneous malolactic fermentation. Typical fermentation temperatures (25ºC), with short and very respectful macerations.
- Alcohol content: 14% Vol.
- Colour: With great color intensity, it preserves a great depth of color despite its lengthy aging phase. It shows intense cherry red tones, although these have turned more russet on the rim due to its evolution over time.
- Nose: Notable for its remarkable intensity and complexity, without being dominated by the oxidative characteristics that are typically associated with an aged wine. In addition to dark fruit and orange peel, the licorice and spicy aromas stand out. In the background, the balsamic notes can also be appreciated, which give it a great appeal and a touch of freshness, along with notes of fallen leaves, tobacco and nuts that enclose that complexity in a great harmony of aromas.
- Palate: Great intensity while exuding smoothness. With very pleasant tactile sensations that denote warmth, it maintains great energy based on its good acidity. Its beginning is sweet and enveloping, giving way to a lengthy, extremely pleasant mouth that culminates in a complex aftertaste. A wine rich with subtleties that provokes thought and discovery.